The Metadata Capital Initiative (MetaDataCAPT’L) is exploring methods for quantifying metadata cost and value over time.
Metadata capital targets metadata as an asset containing contextual knowledge about data content. The MetaDataCAPT’L initiative is supported by the National Consortium for Data Science (NCDS) Faculty Fellows program.
Metadata capital is being analyzed in two different contexts: (1) ontology development in collaboration with the National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) and (2) self-generated health information (SGHI) monitoring daily activity in collaboration with the Research Triangle Institute (RTI).
MetaDataCAPT’L Core Team
- Rebecca Boyles, Data Scientist, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Thomas P. Caruso, Health Informatics Liaison Research Associate, UNC-SILS/RTI
- Jane Greenberg, director, Metadata Research Center, professor SILS/UNC-CH
- Austin Mathews, Research Assistant and BSIS student, Metadata Research Center, SILS, UNC-CH
- Angela Murillo, Research Assistant and doctoral student, Metadata Research Center, SILS, UNC-CH
- Adrian Ogletree, Project Manager and MSIS student, Metadata Research Center, SILS, UNC-CH
- Herbie Huang, Research Assistant and doctoral student, Metadata Research Center, Economics, UNC-CH
Greenberg, J. (2015). Metadata Capital: Conceptual Understanding, Predictive Value. Presented at Hollywood IT Summit, Los Angeles, CA, May 14, 2015. [Presentation]
Greenberg, J. (2015). Metadata Capital: Conceptual Understanding, Predictive Value. Presented at MESA – Metadata Madness. New York, NY, March 31, 2015. [Presentation]
Greenberg, J., Murillo, A. P., Ogletree, A., Boyles, R., Martin, N., & Romeo, C. (2014). Metadata Capital: Automating Metadata Workflows in the NIEHS Viral Vector Core Laboratory. In MTSR-2014: Proceedings of the 8th Metadata and Semantics Research Conference. Karlsruhe, Germany, November 27-29, 2014, pp. 1-13. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-13674-5_1 [Paper]
Greenberg, J., Ogletree, A., Murillo, A. P., Caruso, T. P., & Huang, H. (2014). Metadata Capital: Simulating the Predictive Value of Self-Generated Health Information (SGHI). In 2014 IEEE International Conference on Big Data. Washington, DC, October 27-30, 2014, pp. 31-36. doi:10.1109/BigData.2014.7004209 [Paper] [Presentation]
Greenberg, J. (2014). Metadata Capital: Raising Awareness, Exploring a New Concept.Bulletin of the Association for Information Science and Technology,40(4): 30-33. [Bulletin]
Ogletree, A., Huang, H., Mathews, A. C. (2014). Quantifying the Value of Metadata Capital for Data Science. Presented at NCDS Showcase 2014. Chapel Hill, NC, May 21, 2014. [Poster]
Greenberg, J. (2014). Metadata Capital via a Linked Data HIVE. Advances in Classification Research Online, 24(1): 59-61. doi:10.7152/acro.v24i1.14680 [Paper]
Greenberg, J., Swauger, S., & Feinstein, E. M. (2013). Metadata Capital in a Data Repository. In DC-2013: Proceedings of the International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications. Lisbon, Portugal, September 2-6, 2013, pp. 140-150. [Paper]