As purveyors and stewards of information, library scientists and archivists have important and growing responsibilities to actively and meaningfully participate in our data-driven world, and apply data science techniques to improve library services and operations. We are addressing this need through the LIS Education and Data Science for the National Digital Platform (LEADS-4-NDP) program, as part of the Institute of Library and Museum Services (IMLS) Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program. LEADS-4-NDP will prepare next generation LIS faculty so they may meaningfully integrate data science and LIS education.
LEADS-4-NDP will support LEADS Fellows from ALA accredited programs across the country. LEADS Fellows, will receive a summer stipend and complete the following: 1) an online preparatory curriculum, 2) an intensive 3-day data science bootcamp at Drexel University, and 3) a ten-week data science internship with a LEADS-4-NDP project partners. Internships can be virtual. The call for doctoral student applications will be posted early 2018.
We will be sharing more through this webpage and other communication venues as the program progresses. For inquiries about this unique educative program, please contact the Metadata Research Center (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Jane Greenberg directly.
Project PIs, Information Science Department, College of Computing and Informatics, Drexel University
- Jane Greenberg, Alice B. Kroeger Professor, Director of the Metadata Research Center, and Associate Department Head for Graduate Affairs (Lead PI)
- Xia Lin, Professor, and Department Head, Information Science Department (Co-lead PI)
- Weimao Ke, Associate Professor (Co-PI)
- Il-Yeol Song, Professor (Co-PI)
- Laurie Allen, Assistant Director for Digital Scholarship, University of Pennsylvania (U. Penn) Libraries
- Emily B. Gore, Director of Content, Curation & Use, Digital Public Library of America
- John Houser, Historical Society of Pennsylvania (HSP)
- Martin R. Kalfatovic, Program Director, Biodiversity Heritage Library, and Associate Director, Smithsonian Libraries, Smithsonian Institution
- John Kunze, Identifier Systems Architect, California Digital Library, University of Berkeley
- Michael J. Kurtz, Associate Director, DCIC, College of Information Studies, University of Maryland.
- John C Meier, Deputy Director, Digital Strategies and Information Technology, Free Library of Philadelphia
- Dot Porter, Curator, Digital Research Services, U. Penn Libraries
- Roy Tennant, Senior Program Officer, OCLC
- Jody Gray, MLIS. Director, Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services, American Library Association
- Katy Travaline, Interim Managing Director, The Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships, Drexel University
Advisory Board Members
- Devan Ray Donaldson, Assistant Professor, School of Informatics and Computing Indiana University, Bloomington
- Christopher Erdmann, Chief Strategist for Research Collaboration, NCSU Libraries
- Margaret L. Hedstrom, Professor, School of Information, University of Michigan
- Cliff Lynch, Executive Director, Coalition for Networked Information
- Richard Marciano, Director, Digital Curation Innovation Center, and Professor, College of Information Studies, University of Maryland
- Erik Mitchell, Associate University Librarian/Chief Information Officer, UC Berkeley, and Berkeley Institute for Data Science, Senior Fellow
- Antonios Zavaliangos, A. W. Grosvenor Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University