MRC News September-December 2017
- September 12 – Alice B. Kroeger Professor, Jane Greenberg, was one of several distinguished guests to deliver remarks at Dr. Richard Marciano’s honorary celebration as the 2017 recipient of the Emmett Leahy Award–for a pioneer in the field of records and information management.
- September 15 – Professor Emerita Kate McCain participated in a memorial service for Eugene Garfield, discussing Garfield’s impact on information retrieval.
- September 19-22 – Metadata Research Center (MRC), CCI, Drexel doctoral students, Sam Grabus and Kai Li, both RDA Data Share Fellows, presented posters on research in progress at the Research Data Alliance (RDA) 10th Plenary Meeting in Montreal, Canada; Jane Greenberg presented in the Legal Interoperability forum on NSF spokes project.
- Mid-October – the MRC and Drexel University welcomed Visiting Scholar Dr. Tony Hernandez-Perez from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M). Dr. Hernandez is collaborating with MRC researchers on the NSF Spoke project, “A Licensing Model and Ecosystem for Data Sharing,” bringing an EU perspective, as well as the Helping Interdisciplinary Vocabulary Engineering (HIVE), which he has worked on previously through HIVE-Espana.
- Late October – Dublin Core Metadata Initiative Annual Conference and the 80th Annual Meeting of Association for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T), Washington, DC. MRC members were active at both events, including doctoral students Kai Li and Sam Grabus; CVDI data science fellow, Hongwei Liu; and Professors Kate McCain, Jane Greenberg, and Xia Lin. See Drexel ASIST news.
- November 1 – Jane Greenberg presented her talk, “A Licensing Model and Ecosystem for Data Sharing,” at the Board on Research Data and Information (BRDI) Symposium at the National Academy of Sciences, in Washington D.C. This presentation correlates with a previous talk by Greenberg at the 2017 ESS/SAES/ARD Fall Meeting at Penn State on September 26th.
- November 4 – MRC launched the IMLS supported Library Education for the National Digital Platform (LEADS-4-NDP) project with national partners and internationally recognized advisory board.
- November 7 – Jane Greenberg and Information Science Department Head and Professor, Xia Lin participated IMLS program, Positioning Library and Information Science Graduate Programs for 21st Century Practice, at the University of South Carolina.
- November 8-10 – CVDI Data Science Fellow, Hongwei Liu, attended the CVDI Fall Industrial Advisory Board Meeting at Stony Brook University, in New York, and presented on the GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) collaboration, “Ontology As A Service.”
- November 14 – Doctoral student and Sr. Scientist at Cytovas, LLC, Jeremy Leipzig, published a chapter in Reference Module in Life Sciences, entitled “Computational Pipelines and Workflows in Bioinformatics.” The book will be published by Elsevier in 2018.
- November 14 – Professor Jane Greenberg delivered a keynote, “Sharing Restricted Data: Challenges, Protocols and Implications for Digital Libraries,” at the joint 8th A-LIEP Conference/19th ICADL Conference, in Thailand.
- November 21-23 – MRC Research Assistant Chloe Rotman attended the Trans-Atlantic Symposium on Public Private Partnerships for Big Data Research and Innovation and Workforce Development in Versailles, France. Chloe participated in workshops on the future of Data Science education and workforce development and represented the Licensing Model and Ecosystem for Data Sharing.
- November 28th – December 1 – MRC/CCI doctoral students Sam Grabus and Amy Opalek each presented research papers at the 11th International Conference on Metadata and Semantics Research (MTSR) in Tallinn, Estonia.
- December 1- Kai Li and Assistant Professor Erjia Yan’s paper, “Co-mention network of R packages: Scientific impact and clustering structure,” was accepted by the Journal of Informetrics.
- December 4 – CCI Professor Xia Lin presented at the Advanced Digital Library Seminar in China. His presentation focused on how big screens and data visualization can be used in library services